How to Use these Templates
These obituary templates are designed to allow you to fill in the blanks to create simple obituaries. You may want to use sample wording to help create a more complex obituary. You will also need to gather information about the deceased. If you have any trouble downloading the PDFs, read our how to guide.
Filling Out the Template
- Click on the thumbnail image for the funeral template you wish to use.
- When the template opens on your computer, select File-Save As.
- Give the obituary a name, and save it in a convenient location on your computer.
- Click your cursor in the first space, and type the person’s name.
- Click your cursor on each space that requires filling in, and add pertinent information. Be sure to delete parentheses, and add appropriate punctuation if necessary.
- When you are done, click File-Save to save the document.
- Proofread your saved document to ensure the accuracy of spelling and punctuation.
- Make any necessary corrections, and click File-Save again if you made additional changes.
There are four funeral templates. Two are quite simple, including the most basic information about the deceased. Two also allow you the freedom to list accomplishments, and interests or hobbies.
This funeral template is short and can be used if memorial donations are being accepted. The template requires the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Date of death
- Location of death (city, state)
- Names of surviving immediate family (such as her husband, John and two daughters, Carol and Elizabeth)
- Location of funeral services
- Date and time of funeral services
- Organization to receive memorial donations
Making Changes to the Templates
If these templates don’t meet your exact needs, you can complete them and then add or remove information as desired by using your computer’s word processing or text editing program. To make changes to the obituaries:
- Complete the obituary as described above.
- Open your word processing or text editing program and create a new document.
- Click on the completed PDF template.
- Highlight the text on the completed obituary and copy text (typically you can do this by right clicking on the highlighted text and selecting “Copy,” or pressing CTRL+C on your keyboard.)
- Place your cursor on the new blank text editing document and past the text (usually you can do this with either right click+paste or pressing CTRL+V on your keyboard.)
- Make the changes in the document as required.
- Save your new obituary.
A Written Memorial
Obituaries serve as a written memorial or notice of death. These templates can help make your task easier during this very busy time.